What the heck is your lymphatic system? Many of you may know, but also many of you may not be as familiar with it. To me it is one of the most important systems in the body, especially for clear healthy skin and cellulite free thighs! Good lymph flow is such an important aspect of our general health.
What is the lymphatic system and how does it work?
The lymphatic system is made up of tissues and organs, including the bone marrow, spleen, thymus, and lymph nodes that produce and store cells that fight infection and disease. The channels that carry lymph are also part of this system. Unlike blood which has the heart to pump it around, the lymphatic system relies on muscle movement to move the lymph fluid through the body.
It is in effect the sewerage system of the body, busy removing cellular waste from the system it also carries antigens into the cells to form anti bodies which makes it an important part of the immune system. It is such an important part of our physiology.
• Aids in providing immunological defenses
• Drains excess fluids from the bodies' cells
• Absorbs and distributes fat soluble nutrients
• Improves circulation
A congested lymphatic system can be detrimental to your health. When the lymph gets filled with cellular waste and becomes overloaded, the waste seeps out into other areas of the body causing pain, infection, loss of energy, various diseases and congested unhealthy skin.
So how can you take care of your lymph?
Taking care of your lymph is quite simple.
• Exercise daily - even going for a short walk is beneficial
• Deep breathing
• Dry body brushing - such a simple and effect way to keep your lymph moving.
• Infrared sauna
• Lymphatic drainage
• A rebounder (mini trampoline)
My philosophy for skincare has always been about getting the skin healthy and working from the inside out. Our skin care treatments all involve lymphatic drainage and lymphatic massage. This reduces puffiness, disperse fluid buildup, and promotes healthy circulation. In effect it re-energizes tired dull and congested skin. It really is a girl’s best friend!
During our skincare treatments we treat you to a detox session by wrapping you in our infrared sauna blanket. This is a simple and gentle way to start the detox process. janegee also offers a full body lymphatic drainage treatment, which is pure bliss! We use botanical oils that are designed to stimulate lymph flow. These simple detoxes are great done seasonally to relax the body and stimulate the lymph.
Other methods for getting the lymph moving:
The following essential oils are great for stimulating the lymph:
- Citrus oils like orange, grapefruit and lemon are good for stimulating the lymph glands.
- Peppermint, rosemary and ginger will actually help drain the lymph nodes.
- Mix the essential oils with a carrier, like coconut or grapeseed, and apply to the lymph glands (under the arms and neck are just a few places there are lymph nodes). *Remember to always dilute an essential oil with a carrier and never put it on your body neat.
Castor oil packs around the abdomen are another wonderful way to get lymph moving.
How to Make a Castor Oil Pack
What you will need:
- A 10-x 20-inch piece of flannel or woolen fabric. A wash cloth works great for this.
- Castor oil
- Saran wrap
- Heat pad.
- A plastic box or glass jar with a lid to keep the flannel in.
- Soak the square of flannel or wool in castor oil covered not saturated.
- Apply the castor oil pack over your abdomen and liver. Cover with saran wrap to keep it in place.
- Lie down on your back and place a heat pad over the castor oil pack.
- Leave it in place for one hour.
- When finished, pack your castor oil pack away in your container to be used again.
Castor oil packs have been known to improve liver detoxification, ovarian health, support uterine health, improve circulation and reduce inflammation. Some people even notice, better sleep, less pain, and improved skin conditions.
As you can see the lymphatic system is extremely important for our overall health. Try and move every day, even if it’s a short walk, add dry body brushing into your routine, and do a couple full body detoxes through the year. When the lymph is fully functioning you will feel so good inside and out!