Photo cred: Micayla Jean
Working out can have some amazing benefits for your skin. It increases microdermal circulation, aka brings blood to the surface to feed your skin and take away waste via the lymphatic system. It helps maintain healthy levels of the stress-related hormone cortisol. A high cortisol level could lead to breakouts or cause the collagen in your skin to break down, which can increase wrinkles and sagging. A good workout should actually aid your body in the production of collagen, which will help keep your skin firm and supple. Your skin can also benefit from specific workouts. Aerobic workouts, for example, give your skin a hit of oxygenated blood, which is critical for glowing, dewy skin.
However, if you don't take care of your skin after you work out, the sweat and dirt may cause you to break out. Exercise related skin problems only become an issue when you don’t take care of your skin hygiene post workout.
Keep reading for tips on how to keep your skin healthy and glowing post workout.
1. First of all, you want to make sure you’re working out with a clean face. Working out with makeup on can clog your pores and make it easier to develop irritations and breakouts. Wash your face before hitting the gym, heading to a studio, or going for a run to keep your skin clear and open for that sweat to be easily released from the body.
• Keep a natural makeup remover like our Fresh Eyes, or natural makeup remover wipes, like Zuzu Makeup Remover Wipes, in your gym bag for easy, and quick makeup removal on the go!
2. Keep a janegee Floral Water and oil cleanser, like Clear Skin, in your gym bag. We love oil cleansing post workout because it is easy and can also double up as your moisturizer after. Our Clear Skin oil cleanser kills bacteria and leaves your skin smooth, supple, and hydrated. Post workout clean off with your oil cleanser, re-apply a little as your moisturizer, then spritz with a pure hydrosol (Floral Water). The hydrosol will re-hydrate your skin and prevent the loss of precious minerals.
• Spritz your favorite Floral Water before your workout to help keep your skin feeling healthy throughout your workout.
• Use your Floral Water throughout the day instead of reaching for more moisturizer. They are light on your skin, filled with minerals, and make your skin feel amazing!
3. Minerals are really important in the skin. When you have the full complement of minerals in your skin you hold hydration better! Add a pure clay mask into your weekly routine to detox your skin and help re-mineralize. If you’ve done a double session at the gym, worked out extra hard, or just felt sweatier than normal, end your day with our janegee Marine Mask. The Marine Mask will give your skin a boost and help put back all those minerals you lost.
• Mix your clay mask with a pure hydrosol (Floral Water) instead of water for added minerals and hydration.
Exercise is fabulous for your skin. Problems only arise when your skin isn’t taken care of post workout. Just make sure to take care of your skin hygiene after you’ve gotten sweaty for healthy, glowing skin!
1. Workout with a clean, fresh face.
2. Wash your skin pre and post workout with your favorite cleanser. We recommend an oil cleanser because it is easy and can be used as a moisturizer after!
3. Spritz with a janegee Floral Water to replenish minerals and hydrate.
4. Use our janegee Marine Mask to re-mineralize your skin after an intense workout.